Thursday, March 22
Friday, March 23
- Bruce Cain, PhD, Spence and Cleone Eccles Family Director, The Bill Lane Center for the American West
- David M. Kennedy, PhD, Co-Founding Director, The Bill Lane Center for the American West
As devastating wildfires have become a new reality in the American West, this panel will discuss the challenges and new possibilities of managing both their impact and our response.
- Patrick Shea, JD, University of Utah
- Rebecca Miller, PhD Student, Stanford University
- Alissa Cordner, Whitman College
- John Giller, US Forest Service
- Facilitator: David Brady, PhD, Stanford University
Building upon the 2017 Rural West conference, this panel will brainstorm the next steps in improving health care and access in the rural West.
- Kevin Harris, MPA, MBA, The William D. Ruckelshaus Center
- Bidisha Mandal, PhD, Washington State University
- Tom Scandalis, DO, Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences
- Mike Maples, MD, Community Health of Central Washington
- John F. McCarthy, MD, University of Washington School of Medicine
- Gabriel Garcia, MD, Stanford University School of Medicine
- Facilitator: Phillip Polakoff, MD, Stanford School of Medicine and The Bill Lane Center for the American West
The Yakima Basin Integrated Plan has been praised for making the Yakima Basin a great place for families, fish, and farms. This panel will discuss the background, implementation, and opposition to the YBIP.
- Peter Dykstra, JD, Plauche & Carr LLP
- Tom Ring, Yakama Nation
- Urban Eberhart, Kittitas Reclamation District
- Bob Tuck, Natural Resources Consultant
- Facilitator: Craig Thomas, PhD, University of Washington
This panel will highlight best practices in university-based collaborative governance for addressing environmental, economic and health issues in the rural West.
- Michael Kern, MPA, The William D. Ruckelshaus Center
- Craig Thomas, PhD, University of Washington
- Nicola Ulibarri, PhD, University of California, Irvine
- Gabriela Muñoz-Melendez, PhD, El Colegio de la Frontera Norte
- Facilitator:Bruce Cain, PhD
- Keynote: Hilary Franz, Washington Commissioner of Public Lands
Saturday, March 24